Minerva Dairy French Onion Soup
Please the whole family with this classic and simple French Onion Soup deliciously prepared with a beef broth base, tender onions, French bread, and Minerva Dairy Provolone cheese.
- 1/2 cup Minerva Dairy Unsalted Amish Roll Butter
- 3 Vidalia Onions, sliced into thin rings
- 1 White Onion, sliced into thin rings
- 4 (10 1/2 oz.) cans of Beef Broth or equivalent homemade Beef Stock
- 2 Tbsp. dry cooking Sherry
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp. dried Thyme
- Sea Salt and White Pepper to taste
- 4 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 8 slices Minerva Dairy Provolone cheese
Melt butter in an 8 quart stock pot on medium heat. Add onions and continually stir until tender and translucent. Do not brown the onions.
Add beef broth, sherry, Worcestershire Sauce and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Heat the oven broiler. Ladle soup into oven safe crocks and place one slice of bread on top of each. Layer each slice of bread with 2 slice of provolone. Place crocks on cookie sheet and broil in the preheated oven until cheese bubbles and browns slightly.